Saturday, July 19, 2008

It's not like it's that hot.

HAPPENINGS: I went to the zoo today. If you know me, you should know that I love the zoo. If you don't know me, it is weird that you read my blog. I don't even know why I like it so much, but I have been to different zoos about five or six times over the past 3 years. Today, Zach and I went to the awesome one in San Diego. It was nice to get my mind off of the job search which is a little slow right now. We were supposed to drive down into Mexico after the zoo and grab some tacos and a bottle of our favorite tequila, Don Fernando, which is sold in LA for $100 and in Tijuana for $20. When we were half-way to San Diego, we realized we forgot our passports at home (which you now need to cross the border) so we had to settle for Fred's Mexican Restaurant in downtown San Diego and a tequila bar nearby that was selling an ounce of Don Fernando for $25. We did not enjoy any Don Fernando on this trip. However, as dull as Fred's Mexican Restaurant sounds, I would certainly go back for the steak fajitas.

THOUGHTS: Walking through the zoo, there was a stretch of area where each animal seemed to be sleeping in its den area towards the back. I know not everyone knows this, but being the zoo expert that I have become I know it is rare to actually get a good look at the lions, tigers, and bears in their respective areas because they are always sleeping out of plain sight. As we passed the lions' area, the girl behind us said, "Why are they back there? It's not like it is that hot." She was right. It wasn't that hot out. It was a nice day, but it was stupid what she said. Zach and I laughed at her as we often do at people who say stupid things to each other around us in passing, or how we laugh at the guy at the gym who grunts almost in a sexual way when he lifts an unimpressive amount of weight. I guess it goes back to the elementary school mentality that we never really grow out of when it makes us feel smarter to laugh at someone we perceive as stupid. It makes me wonder how often I am giving people something to laugh at. I will speak softer from now on when in public.

TIPS: I watched a documentary last night entitled, My Kid Could Paint That. You may have heard of this, but it was about that 4 year-old girl who began painting abstract art. She was selling pieces for as much as $300,000 at one point. The subject matter was pretty fascinating as far as the value of art and the role the artist plays in the value of art is concerned. However, the documentary itself, was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever seen. At some point in the movie, the family is watching a special 60 Minutes did on their adorable little genius daughter. The documentarian is filming these people watching the special as it turns from a news story about the girl's talent to an investigation into integrity of the artwork the daughter is producing. They brought in an art expert who suggests the pieces that are being sold in the girl's shows in no way reflect the artwork she produces in front of their hidden cameras. The expert suggests that someone must be polishing the girl's work. At this point the family begins to get paranoid around the documentarian, wondering if he is out to "falsely expose" them the way the program was. He then breaks the 4th wall, and becomes a character in his own documentary, trying to walk the line between wanting the family to continue cooperating with his filming and getting down to the truth of what is really going on. It is really very bizarre, but maybe now I have intrigued you.

No comments: