Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Will Arnett the next Batman?

I went to see The Dark Knight on Sunday afternoon. Although I was there with four other people, I had to sit by myself because the theater was so crowded. This movie broke a box office record, selling $158 million opening weekend. I don't tend to like superhero movies. I didn't go see Iron Man after being disappointed over and over again by movies like Transformers and Spider-Man 3. I feel like I have been trying for a long time to make myself enjoy these kinds types of movies, and it hasn't worked so I decided to give up and stop wasting my money. I am not going to tell you that The Dark Knight changed all of that for me, but what I will tell you is that it was the best superhero movie I have seen. My basis for judging movies usually consists of me asking myself how many other movies would I rather be seeing for the first time instead of the one I am watching. In this case there are several, but that definitely does not include any other superhero movies that I can recall. For what it was, this movie had interesting characters, and I think that was the biggest difference for me. Heath Ledger's performance didn't disappoint me even with all of the hype surrounding it. I guess my biggest complaint was the way Christian Bale talked when he was Batman. I heard his voice may have been digitally altered when he was playing Batman to distinguish his voice from when he was playing Bruce Wayne, but I feel like it sounded ridiculous. I thought it was a joke. I just don't know who to blame: Christian Bale or the digital sound guy. It pretty much sounded like Gob from Arrested Development's voice or maybe like the voice of the guy that narrates all the movie trailers. Anyway, overall it was a good experience which is more than I can say for anything else I have seen with comparable subject matter.

2 comments:

FELINE TRUTH said...

Ooh, I also reviewed "The Dark Knight" in my blog. Sorry I couldn't sit next to you.

The Boston Lady said...

Thanks for the link to your blog! I have to agree about "the voice". We actually thought it was comical and distracting. We just watched Batman Begins this weekend and noticed the voice was not quite as bad. Good movie nonetheless.

See you soon!