Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rants

I guess this is starting because I keep going to read Zach’s blog, and disappointingly, there have been no updates. It’s not that I don’t know what is going on with him. We see each other quite often, but I guess there is something about it that makes it even more interesting to read. Also, I have been reading other people’s blogs too (no, you don’t know who you are), and it has inspired me to take this step. Now, I am not committing to anything. By writing “taking this step” I mean writing this single entry. I won’t talk about the blog itself too much right now because I think when you set out some huge guidelines at the start, it is less likely to last.

THOUGHTS: That theory doesn’t just go for blogging either. Some other things I would apply that statement to include: dieting/exercise, learning a language, committing to cook at home more often, or most goals that require you to take things one day at a time. At least for me, anytime I have become consistent about doing most of those types of things, I didn’t necessarily map out the entire process from the very beginning. I just decided to do it, and then the rest followed day by day. An exception for me would include: saving money. There is a definite plan where that is concerned, but it is mostly carried out by the bank.

That was probably boring.

HAPPENINGS: I am in a new stage of my life here in Los Angeles: the unemployed stage. I recently quit my job at the casting office where I worked for the past year, and I have started the search for something new. I am still in love with casting, and I don’t want to do anything else at this point, but I really want to try some different types of casting before I decide what kind I would like to do in the future. Different types of casting would include episodic television series, feature film, miniseries, made for TV movies, and reality. I am mostly interested in the first three since I feel like I have gained a good understanding of how the latter 2 work. I worked for the past year at an office that casts made for TV movies for cable networks, and as far as reality goes, I think my internship experience was enough to make me realize that was not for me. I am looking for a job now in an office that either works on episodic TV or features, preferably projects that I could see myself wanting to watch. I have some potential projects in the works from a couple different sources, but nothing is set for now so I am on the interview train. I suppose it has been good to have the time off, but I wouldn’t say it has been easy. Thanks to my bank’s superior saving skills and my industry employed boyfriend (I’ll let you read about that in his blog), I can afford, for now, to find something I will enjoy.

TIPS: There are not many movies out in the theaters right now. Although there is the much anticipated Dark Knight movie that I have yet to see. I saw the Sex and the City movie a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I never watched more than a couple episodes of the show here and there, but I thought the movie was good. It was funny. There were many emotional scenes that I laughed through. This was not because they were stupid and I was laughing at them, but it was because they managed to keep a good sense of humor even in very emotional scenes. I started watching the show after I saw the movie, and I just finished season one. I wouldn’t recommend it to just anyone, but I am enjoying it.

Something I would recommend to anyone would be the HBO miniseries, John Adams. It was just nominated for an insane amount of emmys today and rightfully so. It has incredible production quality, well above average historical accuracy, and awesome performances. I am considering buying a bunch of copies and sending it to people I know will like it. It is that good.

I also watched an older movie recently that I think has become one of my many favorites. It is a Woody Allen movie called Hannah and Her Sisters. It is funny, insightful, and had really good characters.

Without mapping out meals for the rest of the year, I have been cooking at home a lot. Sometimes, I cook simple things like meat, starch, and veggie. Sometimes I get a little more creative, and maybe you want to try this one. It is inspired by my old UF roommates Christy and Laura who were ultimately inspired by the Italian restaurant, Carrabba’s. I believe Christy made it once at our apartment and it is one of Laura’s favorite dishes of all time. This is not really great recipe form, but I think it is pretty simple.

  • cook chicken breast (I cook it by searing both sides until brown) and then putting in my confectioners oven on 325F for 20 minutes.
  • At the 15 minute mark of the chicken cooking, take it out and smother it with sundried tomato paste or a thick sauce (you can also use a thick pesto sauce/paste if that sounds better to you), and top it with some sliced goat cheese. Stick the chicken back in for the rest of the cooking time.

So good!